If you're planning a trip to Rome, first let me say: I'm jealous! Then allow me to provide the following strategies for things you can do.
things to do in Rome
1) Pizza! You can't go to Italy without eating pizza, but you have to do it right. Check out Roscioli, one third-generation pizzeria making great Italian food the way it ought to be. Remember to book in advance or be prepared to wait, as the place is popular, if you want to head there for dinner. Service however, quick, friendly and is, and selecting wines and snacks are superb.
things to do in Rome
2) Visit the Vatican Museums totally free on the last Sunday of every month, from 8: 30 a.m. to 2 p.m. (the last admission reaches 12: 30 p.m.).
3) Pray for Salvation: Maybe not, but churches are indeed everywhere in Rome. There are over 900 of them, according to Wikipedia! The majority are free of charge and probably the most spectacular will be the Four Rome Basilicas of San Giovanni in Laterano, Saint Paul.
4) Quench your thirst: No need for water in bottles here! Simply take a drink from your fountain when you pass by for any refreshing treat.
5) Take a trip in time: and visit the Tempio di Adriano (Temple of Hadrian). Group of many a Hollywood film, this relic from your past is positioned between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain. Afterwards it is possible to nip into Salotto42 to have an aperitif - it's located just throughout the Piezza di Pietra
6) Then following that...visit the Pantheon free of charge!
7) Ingest the scene: the highest part of the city in Lo Zodiaco, that provides a 180 degree view over Rome. Have a few points for that monoculars or bring your personal pair and enjoy the metropolis go by!
8) Dance the night away: in Rome's hippest club, Micca. Located underground in what used to be an enormous wine cellar, this place is extremely chic and a wonderful way to get a flavour in the local nightlife and clubbing scene. Perhaps La Cabala would be more to your taste if you're not so much of a dancer though. Composed of three levels: a lounge, a piano bar as well as a club, it possesses a stunning location inside a historic building overlooking the Lungotevere.
9) Picnic like your life depends on it: you're spoilt for choice! Walk with the dreamy Borghese Gardens, settle down in Villa Ada or picnic with family and friends in Villa Pamphili.
10) Drink just like the locals: the Etabli aperitif bar is beautiful and incredibly popular amongst locals. Go after 7pm to experience the romantic atmosphere, the welcoming buzz of locals as well as the delicious finger food and drinks. What a wonderful way to say good bye to some fabulous city!