Members: Paul Givant - Lead Vocals, Banjo, Acoustic Guitar. John Kraus - Vocals, Electric Guitar, Banjo. Tim Weed - Vocals, mandolin, Fiddle. Stephen Andrews - Upright Bass. Christian Hogan - Precussion, Drums.
Los Angeles based band Roses Pawn Shop is a tornado of Appalachian bluegrass, alt-country, rock, Americana, folk, Celtic, punk and the kitchen sink, drawing in not only the attention of critics and fans but other musicians as well. Over the years, Roses Pawn Shop has played with a diverse roster of bands including Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Junior Brown, Ghostland Observatory, Blues Traveler, DeVotchka, Old Crow Medicine Show, Levon Helm, Blue Rodeo, Conor Oberst and the Mystic River Band, Railroad Earth, The Sadies, and The Duhks. Jack White hand-picked them to open for The Raconteurs.
Founded in late 2005, within a years time Roses Pawn Shop had released their debut CD The Arsonist, won the Best Band in the West title in the Billboard Magazine/Disc Makers Independent World Series, and were named Amoeba Records Homegrown Artist of the Month.
Since 2006 Roses Pawn Shop has toured extensively throughout the United States(over 100 dates a year) electrifying festival, theater, club, saloon, and honky tonk audiences with their high energy stage show, punk-bluegrass-a-billy attitude and their genre-blending, boot-stomping tunes.
In 2010 they entered the studio with veteran producer Ethan Allen(Gram Rabbit, Throwing Muses, Better Than Ezra, The 88, Brant Bjork, Patty Griffin) and recorded and released their sophomore album Dancing On The Gallows to great critical acclaim.
Since 2006 Roses Pawn Shop has toured extensively throughout the United States on several national tours, in addition to several mini-tours throughout California, the Northwest, Southwest, Colorado and Utah. Here are some of their career highlights:
Music Festival Performances:
1. Floyd Fest 2007, 2009, 2010 - Floyd, VA
2. Joshua Tree Roots Music Festival â Joshua Tree, CA
3. Sunset Junction Street Festival â Los Angeles, CA
4. Joshua Tree Music Festival â Joshua Tree, CA
5. CMJ Music Festival â New York City, NY
6. Nemo Music Festival â Boston, MA
7. North Park Music Thing â San Diego, CA
8. Topanga Banjo Fiddle and Folk Festival â Agoura Hills, CA
9. Americana Music Association Conference â Nashville, TN
10. Santa Fe Bandstand Music Series â Santa Fe, NM
11. Mountain Music and Jam Festival â Mineral Wells, WV
12. College of Santa Fe Quadstock Festival â Santa Fe, NM
1. Second album Dancing On The Gallows charted 4 weeks straight on CMJ Top 200 Chart and received extensive national and international airplay on college, AAA, country and alternative radio formats.
2. Live in-studio performance, interview, and album review at Seattle tastemaker radio station KEXP 90.3.
3. Dancing On The Gallows charts on the Roots Music Radio Report Bluegrass Top 50 for several months.
4. Live in-studio performance and interview on KAT Country 102 Amarillo, TX.
5. Live in-studio performance and interview on WMBR 88.1 Cambridge, MA.
6. Reached #1 for 4 straight weeks at KPUR 94.5 Forest Grove, OR.
Awards, Performance Highlights and Honors:
1. Winner of the 2006 Billboard Magazine/Disc Makers Independent Music World Series, winning $5000 cash and over $20,000 in prizes. Roses Pawn Shop in competition with over 1,200 bands, narrowed down to 6 finalists, and won the top prize.
2. Handpicked by Jack White to open for Jack White and the Raconteurs at the Henry Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles.
3. Amoeba Records Homegrown Artist of the Month.
4. Month Long Residency at The Parkside Lounge in New York City, NY.
5. Month Long Residency at The Redwood Bar in Los Angeles, CA.
6. Performance at the famous Georgia Theatre in Athens, GA.
7. Featured artist at ASCAP showcase at The Basement in Nashville, TN.
8. Recorded 2nd album Dancing On The Gallows with renowned producer Ethan Allen(Gram Rabbit, Throwing Muses, Brant Bjork, Patty Griffin)
9. Twice performed at Phoenix Botanical Gardens Music Series in Phoenix, AZ.
In addition to these highlights, below is a partial list of some of the well-respected venues Roses Pawn Shop has performed at over the last 2 years:
House of Blues â Anaheim, CA
The Troubadour â Los Angeles, CA
The Key Club â Los Angeles, CA
Tractor Tavern â Seattle, WA
Continental Club â Austin, TX
12th & Porter â Nashville, TN
The Derby â Los Angeles, CA
The Rhythm Room â Phoenix, AZ
College of Santa Fe â Santa Fe, NM
Arlenes Grocery â New York, NY
The Living Room â New York, NY
TT and the Bears â Boston, MA
Double Door â Chicago, IL
The Basement â Nashville, TN
It may come as a surprise to hear the foot-stomping strains of Appalachian bluegrass channeled through a rock band here in Los Angeles, but heartache, loss and regret have always been the cornerstones of great music and this city has its share. In a town better known for porn stars and face lifts, anything as authentic and heartfelt as Roses Pawn Shop, is a pleasant surprise.
Singer-songwriter Paul Givant grew up on the disparate array of popular musical styles any late 20th century kid did. And in that mishmash of rock, punk, country, pop, rap, and all the rest, it was American Folk and Bluegrass music that rooted deepest in Paul, transforming him and his songs. Having played in various rock bands since early high school, in 2005 Paul decided it was time to take his growing batch of old style/new school folk songs, and build them into something greater, more ferocious. The songs were there, volatile, almost flammable, but if they were to attain their potential greatness, he was going to need help.
As so many fortuned events unfold, it was through a series of chance meetings, twists of fate, and Craigs List, that Paul met kindred spirits in Sebastian St. John, Derek OBrien, Bill Clark, Derek Swenson, and John Kraus. And in 2005 they began building the music and the band that would soon be known as Roses Pawn Shop. This group of young musicians combined in their collective musical melting pot the old style American sounds of Woody Guthrie, Bill Monroe, and Hank Williams, the high energy punk of The Ramones, and The Pogues, and the melodic songwriting sensibilities of Elliott Smith and The Beatles. They were creating something musically unique and yet imbued with a familiarity and accessibility.
The final ingredient was added one fateful day when Pauls scorned ex-girlfriend/former band mate in an act of revenge stole the bands instruments and gear and took them down to the local pawn shop. Priceless. Roses Pawn Shop was bornâ¦ The match was lit.
In spring of 2006 after months of playing live and breaking ground around Los Angeles, the band recorded and released their debut album The Arsonist. The album quickly began receiving critical praise from print and online publications as varied as About.com, The Daily News, Miles of Music, and Music Connection. A month after its release, Roses Pawn Shop showcased and won the grand prize in Billboard Magazine and Disc Makers: Independent Music World Series. And in the summer of that year, the members of Roses Pawn Shop dared to quit their day jobs and hit the road, and what had started as a slow and steady burn, began spreading like wildfire.
They have been touring the United States nearly non-stop ever since. On any given day you might find Roses Pawn Shop playing the Georgia Theatre in Athens, busking the streets of Jackson Square in New Orleans, opening for Jack White and The Raconteurs at the Henry Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles, ripping the walls off the club in their month long residency at the Parkside Lounge in New York City, or hitting the main stage of FloydFest in Virginia. On any given day theyre out there, growing their music, igniting their passion, and converting an ever increasing congregation of loyal fans.
In early 2010 Roses Pawn Shop entered the studio with renowned producer Ethan Allen(Patty Griffin, Better Than Ezra, Counting Crows, Luscious Jackson, The 88, Gram Rabbit) to record their 2nd album Dancing On the Gallows. In recording the new record Roses Pawn Shop found themselves rising to a new level of song craft and sound experimentation, while retaining the same fiery intensity and excitement of their early material. The highly anticipated album was released in June 2010 to great critical acclaim, spending 4 weeks straight on CMJs Top 200 chart and several weeks on the Roots Music Radio Reports Top 50.
What do they sound like you ask?
With an arsenal of banjos, guitars, mandolin, fiddle, pedal steel, upright bass, and thundering drums, their sound is a wholesome mishmash of creek mud, rusty nails and your moms cooking. Its sincere, straight-forward and sexy as fuck, effortlessly combining such disparate musical styles as rock, country, bluegrass, and punk to create an incomprehensibly smooth and accessible sound for true believers and skeptics alike.
With wisdom beyond their years, they fearlessly confront traditional country music themes of loss, lamentation, and redemption, while throwing in some drinking-songs for good measure. Sure, theyre borrowing pages from the books of Hank Williams, Bill Monroe, and Johnny Cash, but Roses Pawn Shop takes those pages, tears them up and sets them on fire with breakneck speed, bluegrass instrumentation, 3- and 4- part vocal harmonies and lyrics thatll break your heart.
Whether its the dreamy snake-charm-thump of Lone Rider, the wistful whisky-soaked wisdom of Down The Line, the honky-tonk ruckus of Funeral Pyre, or the Gypsy-infused mandolin twang of Reckoning, Roses Pawn Shop will hook you. Like catfish from the creek, theyll reel you in. And they wont let you go.
And youll be glad they did. Because something happens when you hear these songs. No matter how low youve sunk, something in the music finds you. It picks you up and carries you home.
Paul Givant - Lead Vocals, Banjo, Acoustic Guitar
John Kraus - Vocals, Electric Guitar, Banjo
Tim Weed - Vocals, mandolin, Fiddle
Stephen Andrews - Upright Bass
Christian Hogan - Precussion, Drums
Self-titled EP (November 2005)
01. The Arsonist
02. Funeral Pyre
03. Deep Red Clay
04. One-man Show
05. Lone Rider
06. Long Way to Fall
08. My Old Valentine
09. Down the Line
10. Blood Running Rivers
Dancing On The Gallows(2010)
01. Dancing on the Gallows
02. Danger Behind the Wheel
03. The Well
04. Pine Box
05. Ball of Flames
07. The Bed in Which You Lie
08. Straw Man
10. One Last Glass of Whiskey
11. The Garden
12. Debt Collector