Members: Ben Hammond
Born in the tiny town of Hiram, Maine and graduated with a degree in Music Technology from McGill University in Montreal, Ben Hammond has since been relentlessly touring, from New England to New Zealand to points in between, playing his unique brand of live-looped Acoustic Soul-Pop at a variety of festivals and hundreds of venues (including an appearance as a guest Vocalist/Beatboxer at the Montreal Jazz Festival, and the recording of his recently released live CD/DVD "Solo at Stone Mt Arts Center" directed by award-winning cinematographer Mike Dana).
Though far from settled down, the past 3 years have seen sunny Sarasota, FL as Ben's seasonal home-away-from-car. In addition to selling over 5,000 albums of his own compositions (including his 2008 debut "[Reasonably] Honest" produced by Downbeat Magazine award winner Reuben Ghose which has garnered radio play across the East Coast and multiple awards including a John Lennon Songwriting Award) he has quickly become a fixture in the great Sarasota scene, recently voted "Best of the Suncoast 2010" in Sarasota's Creative Loafing for his energetic performances.
Schooled in jazz, raised on rock, fascinated with music the world over, Ben Hammond can just as easily be found strumming a soulful ballad as he can live-looping an a cappella improvisation of beatboxing and 4-part harmony, recklessly remixing some of the best music of the past century with his eclectic repertoire of original material
- Live performances on 89.5FM (CIUT Toronto), 90.3FM (CKUT Montreal), and 89.3FM (WHSN Bangor, ME)
- "No History Sessions EP" has received airplay on 93.5FM (WMWV Conway, NH), 95.9FM (WATD Boston, MA),
- "[Reasonably] Honest" brand new released March 2008, already slotted for airplay on 89.3FM (WHSN Bangor, ME), 91.3FM (WUNH Durham, NH), 91.1FM (WMUA Amherst, MA), IndieTalent.ca Web Radio, Martha's Vineyard Web Radio (mvyradio.com),
- Solo concert footage opening for Entrain in Schouller Park featured multiple times on Channel 3 Valley Vision in North Conway, NH.
- Live Performance on CTV in Montreal with Effusion A Cappella
- Ben Hammond "[Reasonably] Honest" 2008
- Ben Hammond "No History Sessions EP" 2006
- Guest on Renee Lee "Maple Groove" 2004 â Justin Time Records
- Effusion A Cappella "Unrestrained" 2006
- Effusion A Cappella "Movin' Away" 2002
2008 Album Release Tour Dates:
- April 11th in Toronto, ON at the Central with Band
- April 12th in Burlington, VT at the Radio Bean
- April 19th in Montreal, QC at the Yellow Door with Band
- April 25th in Cambridge, MA at All Asia with Band
- April 27th in New York, NY at the Sidewalk CafÃ© at AntiFolk
- May 11th in Montreal, QC at Casa del Popolo with Band
- May 14th in Montreal, QC w/ Joel Miller at La Salla Rossa
- May 15th in Bucksport, ME w/ Tracy Grammer at Alamo Theater
- May 17th in Norwood, MA at Vegas Lounge
- May 19th in Somerville, MA at the Abbey Lounge with Band
- May 29th in Portland, ME at Blue with Band
- June 10th in Brownfield, ME at Stone Mountain Arts Center
- Old Port Fest in Portland, ME
- With Joel Miller Mandala at the Montreal Jazz Festival
- Opened for Entrain at the North Conway Arts in the Park
- Sarasota Arts Day Festival
- Festival 500 in Newfoundland with Bobby McFerrin
- "[This] singer-songwriter does a lot more than just play guitar; he beat boxes, circuit bends and writes damned good songsâ¦ his new CD, [Reasonably] Honest, has ten tracks that weave in and out of jazz, rock, reggae, rap and pop while staying true to a sound that is definitely Ben Hammond. [He] sounds, vocally, like Jamie Cullum and John Mayer and has a bouncy guitar style with great backbeats that remind me of Jack Johnson. The thing that sets him apart from those guys is his ability to blur the line between jazz, pop and hip-hop and do it so that it doesn't sound forced." Darryl Gregory at Indie-Music.com
- "These days he works the music circuit â¦ armed with his acoustic guitar, live- looping vocal percussion â¦and his brand of "jazztastic hip folk." I've heard his EP and I'll vouch for him. Hammond's got it going on for sure. What do I mean by "it?" Find out Saturday night". - Aimsel Ponti in the Portland Press Herald
- Over 25 original songs, two sets of original material.
- Over 250 Pop and Rock Covers ranging from Elvis to Jack Johnson.
- Over 150 Jazz Standards and Latin Classics, from Sinatra to Jobim
- Ability to learn / compose specific material in a huge range of styles.
- Email mailing list (opted-in) of over1300 people, mainly localized in the Northeast (New England and Montreal region) but ranging from New Zealand to Newfoundland. Over 200 different cities, 32 States and Provinces, in nearly 20 different countries.
- Strong online presence, including average 2,000 unique visitors per month over the past 2 years, large friend/fan rosters on Myspace, Facebook, Bebo, and many more social networking sites.
- Have performed multiple sold-out concerts (200 tickets for solo shows, nearly 400 tickets for show with my former group Effusion)
Personal Discography Info:
- Ben Hammond "[Reasonably] Honest" 2008 â Personally financed and organized, composed and co-produced. Sold over 1,000 copies in first year.
- Ben Hammond "No History Sessions EP" 2006. Sold over 1,000 copies at shows and in local stores.
- 2008 One of three Folk Category Winners for the John Lennon Songwriting Competition.
- 2008 2nd Place Finish at SOLARFEST Performing Songwriter Contest
- 2008 Honorable Mention for "Lemme Know" at West Coast Songwriters Songwriting Composition
- 2004 Montreal ICCA Vocal Percussion Award
- 2001 Best Male Vocalist at the Maine State Vocal Jazz Competition
- 2001 Awarded for original composition, adaptation and performance of Fryeburg Academy's New England Championship winning 1-Act play "Wiley and the Hairy Man"
- Ben Hammond (registered BMI Artist)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.benhammondmusic.com